It may not be possible to prevent language and communication delays. However, parents can work toward facilitating communication with their children. Follow these tips to encourage language development in your child:
1. Talk to your child from the time they’re born.
2. Respond to your child’s babbling when they’re a baby.
3. Getting down to your child’s level
- Get down to their physical level and make sure that you can look directly into each other’s eyes.
- Build on their interest and take the focus off talking.
- Play together and have fun!
4. The four I’s (See previous article: Understanding speech and language delays or disorders in children)
5. Model Language
- Talk about things that are happening right now, in front of you
- Keep talking about yesterday or tomorrow to a minimum
- Use visual cues to make it easier to understand
6. Ask a Question
The following questions are organized in order of increasing complexity.
- Choice Questions
- Yes/No Questions
- What Questions
- Where Questions
- Who Questions
- When Questions
- Why Questions
- How Questions